Living In PoncaTourismCity GovernmentChamber of CommerceEconomic Development
CommunityFamily Kids and PetsEmergency, Safety & HealthSports, Fun & LeisureNeighborhood & Public ServicesBrowse by audience
For Information


With the use of ovens, elements, and other heating appliances, the kitchen can become a fire haven.  The Co-operators insurance company reports that 48 percent of co-op claims were for kitchen or grease fires.  Here are some tips to help prevent kitchen fires in your home.


Never Leave Cooking Unattended!

Never leave home when a microwave oven, stove burner or oven is on.  Keep a close eye on what you're cooking. 

Keep Your Cooking Area Clean

Many items in the kitchen can catch fire easily.  They include pot holders, dish towels and product packaging.  Keep curtains away from the stove.  Clean up spills onto the stovetop and nearby counters.  Clean your oven regularly.  Many kitchen fires start because of built up grease.

Kids & Pets Should Stay Clear

There is an imaginary kid-free zone one metre around your kitchen stove.  Enforce it strictly.  Also keep pets from running around underfoot.  They might cause you to trip when you're holding or near to something very hot.

Always Turn Pot Handles In!

It is too easy for a child to reach up and grab or hit a pot or pan handle that's sticking out over the edge of the stovetop.  Scalding injuries can be quite serious.

Don't Overload Electrical Outlets

This means the notorious "outlet octopus" must be avoided.  That's when several electrical cords are plugged into the same outlet.  Avoid plugging more than one appliance into an outlet.  There should not be more than two operating appliances plugged into the same circuit.  Heat generating appliances such as toasters and electric frying pans use a lot of current.  If you overload the circuit, it will get hot and possibly short out or catch fire.  Have damaged cords or outlets fixed immediately.  If water gets into an electrical appliance, have it serviced before you use it again. 

Watch Your Sleeves

Be mindful of what you're wearing while cooking.  Loose sleeves over hot stove burners can catch fire.  Wear clothing with snug cuffs or roll up the sleeves.  If you store things above your stovetop, your clothing could catch fire when you lean over stove burners to reach up.


Grease & Cooking Oil

These commonly cause kitchen fires.  If using cooking oil, heat it slowly and never leave the pot or pan unattended.  Keep close at hand a large lid that would fully cover any cooking vessels on the stove.  If the oil or grease should catch fire, the lid can be put over the flames to smother them.  Never try to put out an oil or grease fire with water.  It will splatter, possibly spreading the fire.

Keep the door of your oven or microwave closed

If a fire starts in your oven or microwave oven, keep the door closed to prevent air from feeding the flames.  Turn the appliance off or pull the plug.  If the flames don't die out quickly, call the Fire Department by dialing 9-1-1.

Always Be Alert!

Don't cook if you're under the influence of alcohol.  The same goes if you're drowsy from medication or fatigue.


If you have any more questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact: 


David VanBuskirk

Fire Marshal

Phone 580-767-0368

Fax 580-767-1335


Copyright © 2008