Living In PoncaTourismCity GovernmentChamber of CommerceEconomic Development
About Ponca CityActivitiesPlan Your TripAttractionsTravel ToolsFun & Free
Location : Tourism > Attractions > Parks & Recreation > Kaw Lake > Camping
More Information

Camping at Kaw Lake


Is camping what you’re interested in? If you come to Oklahoma looking for some

great outdoor experiences, then Kaw Lake is your answer! There are almost
300 family campsites, many of them with water and electricity, and they are
managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. All you have to do to make
reservations for a campsite is call or use the Internet. Here are answers
to some of your frequently asked questions.

When are the campsites open at Kaw Lake ?

Most campgrounds are open from March 1 through November 30.


What types of camping are available?

The campgrounds at Kaw Lake are for tent or RV camping.
There are no cabins available. If you’re a tent camper who
prefers primitive camping, the best places for tent camping
are at Coon Creek and Washunga Bay . However, tents
may be used at any campsite or campgrounds. For Rv’ers
wanting electric and water, any of the Corps campgrounds

offer these services. Camping is not permitted outside the designated areas.


What services can we expect to find at Kaw Lake ?

At Kaw Lake there are campsites with electric hookups and water.
RV dump stations are located at Coon Creek, Bear Creek,
Sarge Creek and Washunga Bay . There are picnic shelters;
toilets and showers; fishing and courtesy docks; boat ramps
and swimming beaches.  When you make your reservations,
you will be able to find out more information about each
campground.  (Please see the table at the bottom of this page.)


How many people can use a campsite?

Some campsites have maximum occupancy and vehicle rules.
That information can be obtained when you make reservations.
Osage Cove has two areas available for group camping. There
are also picnic areas for large get-togethers and day-long activities.


How do I make reservations?

You can make reservations by phone or by the Internet. The National
Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) coordinates reservations
for all Corps of Engineers-managed properties. Their toll-free number is


You can visit, which is the website of the NRRS. 

On this site there will be information about each campground
and a place where you can make your reservation.  The Website
offers secure credit card payment.


Where do I get a Golden Age or Golden Access Passport?

A Golden Age or Golden Access Passport is available at the office of
the Corps of Engineers and, during the summer months, at the
gatehouses. To get a Golden Age Passport, you must be at
least 62 years old.  It is a one-time fee of $10 for the Passport

and is good for life.  This Passport entitles the holder to a 50%
discount on all camping fees at Kaw Lake as well as other

Corps lake campgrounds.  The Golden Access Passport is for
those with Federal Disability Benefits.  There is no age and no
charge. Proof of receipt of Federal Disability Benefits must be

shown when applying.


What are the fees for using the campsites?

The fees for all campgrounds are nominal.  None of the fees
are more that $16.00 per night/per site, and groups pay
$75.00 per night/per group site.  Fees for day-only use
are under $5.00. Children under 12 are free for day-use,
and registered campers do not have to pay day-use fees
in addition to camping fees.


What is a cut-off date?

There is a deadline for making reservations for the days you want
to camp, and each recreation area has one of these cut-off dates.
If you don’t make a reservation by the cut-off date, you may
have to choose another date, or go to the campground, and take
what’s available at the time.


How do I pay for my campsite?

Campsite reservations are paid by credit card (VISA, MasterCard,
Discover, and American Express), money order, certified or cashier’s
check, traveler’s checks or government or school district checks.
Personal checks are not accepted.

Credit card payments may be made with your reservations, either by
phone or on the website.  Money orders or checks must be received
within 10 days of making your reservation.

The person who assists you with your reservation will give a confirmation
number to you.  They will ask for your e-mail address and send a

confirmation electronically.  If you don’t have e-mail, your confirmation

letter may be faxed to you or, if your arrival date is more than
14 days away, it will be mailed to you.  Confirmation will be sent once
payment is received.


Where do I mail my payment?

Payments can be mailed to NRRS, P.O. Box 28147 , Atlanta , GA 30384-1470 .

Be sure to include your confirmation number on the certified check or money order.

When you call to make your campsite reservation, you will need to
have the following information ready:

                       Dates of your trip
           Which campsite you prefer
           Type and length of your trailer or camper
           Your electric, water, and sewer needs
           Your e-mail address
           Your zip code
           If you have a Golden Age or Golden Access Passport
           How many vehicles you will have on-site
           The number of pets that you have with you
           Your credit card information, or pen and paper for other payment instructions.


What if I need to change my reservations?

Change or cancellation is assessed a $10.00 service charge. If they
are made within three days of your arrival you will be charged the first
night’s use fee. These fees apply to each campsite reserved.
Your campsite will be held until checkout time on the day after your
expected arrival. If you haven’t arrived by that time, you will be
charged the first night’s use fee as well as a $20.00 no-show fee.


Can firewood be gathered?

Firewood can be gathered from any downed timber in the area.


Are there off-road vehicle (ORV) areas at Kaw Lake ?

The off-road vehicle area is located approximately two miles east of Kaw City
north of State Highway 11 near the Sarge Creek recreation area.  It covers
80 acres and is heavily wooded.  This area is best suited for small ATV’s
and dirt bikes.  Dune buggies, Jeeps, and similar vehicles are NOT PERMITTED.
It is open for use seven days a week, all year long.  There is also a parking lot,
vault toilet facilities, and potable water.

You are encouraged to use the recommended safety equipment while on the
Kaw Lake ORV areas, especially helmets, gloves and eye protection
during your ride. Please ride in the designated areas only, and practice
courtesy and common sense at all times.

This information should answer what questions you might have. Now all that’s
left is to pack your car and come to Kaw Lake for some great camping!


Copyright © 2008